Commercial carpet cleaning can be either steam cleaned or dry-cleaned but which is the best to use. Both of these methods have their drawbacks and benefits.
Because steam is used to clean the carpet, it is the one most preferred. It is also an effective method for carpet cleaning. Steam cleaning will remove the dirt and help to increase the life of your carpet. This is also called hot water extraction. Commercial carpet cleaning using the steam cleaning method has two methods that you can use.
• Portable extraction—this is generally used in industries that are involved in the business of cleaning carpets. The suction machine is not as strong as the truck mount machine. Steam cleaning the carpet is used for big-scale carpet cleaning in hospitals, apartments and more
• Truck mount—the pressurized hot water is mixed with a carpet cleaning solution that is non-toxic to remove soil and dirt from the carpet. You can remove deep-settled dirt in the carpet also.
• It takes a long time to dry
• While drying the dirt can resettle back down on the carpet
• If not dried properly it could lead to fungal or bacterial growth on the carpet.
Even though it states “dry-cleaned” this does not mean that you use no water at all but there is very little used. When using this method commercial carpet cleaning services have four methods to choose from.
• Dry compound—a dry compound is spread over your carpet and left to dry for a time. This mixture will absorb the dirt from the carpet. After the specified time for this compound to be left on the carpet, it is then removed with a vacuum cleaner.
• Dry chem—this is similar to the dry foam method with the difference being which machine to use. In this method, you would use the bonnet pad and not the vacuum cleaner. The bonnet pad will scrub your carpet and then absorb the dirt.
• Dry foam—shampoo is applied to the carpet and left to dry. While drying the shampoo will absorb the dirt. Use a vacuum to suck up the dried shampoo/
• Oscillating pad—the first step to spray a balanced pH spray onto the carpet and left for a certain period of time. Generally, this is from thirty to sixty minutes. This spray reacts with the dirt to loosen it so it can be removed with a cotton pad.
• It is not as effective as steam cleaning
• Leaves residue in the carpet that does not completely go away
• Because of left over residue in the carpet, more dirt will settle into the carpet and slowly decrease the life of the carpet.